Saturday, January 14, 2012

2nd Sunday after Epiphany (Jan. 15, 2012) John 1:43-51

        Jesus answered, “Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under 
        the fig tree? You will see greater things than these.” And he said to him, 
        “Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God 
        ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.” 
                                                                                   John 1:50-51 (NRSV)

I love the way Nathanael has pretty much spit out 'Can anything good come out of Nazareth?' as if it were an epithet .... and yet for whatever reason, he responds to Philip's invitation to 'come and see.' 

And having gone and seen and decided that Jesus was indeed the Messiah, 
I really, really love the way Jesus banters back 'Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these' -- almost as if IT were an epithet! Almost as in a game of verbal one-ups-man-ship, as if Jesus was saying, 'Touche, Nathanael, you think YOU are cool? know it all?' Of course, Jesus has no need to 'best' Nathanael in a verbal duel. But I kind of like the idea of a Lord and Savior who not only can but DOES gently and (as I imagine it) with a large twinkle in his eye, basically 'dish it out better than he takes' -- at least once in a while.

The question I am hearing this week: If there was one topic that Jesus could shine a spotlight on, 'call you out' on, even pull the rug out from under you with, what would it be? (and what is it about THAT topic Jesus would be zeroing in on to reveal?)


over the Portland International Airport
More Portland

Still more Portland
on the Mon Valley expressway south of Pittsburgh, PA
on the PA turnpike near Monroeville






No comments:

Post a Comment