Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Epiphany 5 (February 5, 2012) Mark 1:29-39

        In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went 
        out to a deserted place, and there he prayed. And Simon and his 
        companions hunted for him. When they found him, they said to him, 
        ‘Everyone is searching for you.’ He answered, ‘Let us go on to the 
         neighboring towns, so that I may proclaim the message there also; 
        for that is what I came out to do.’                                Mark 1:35-38

Yes, I'm late. But I'm still officially on vacation, so I feel a bit vindicated! In my absence Sunday an elder read a meditation on the gospel passage from Rick Morley's blog 'a garden path' entitled 'A Dark and Deserted Place'. He talks about how necessary it was for even Jesus to spend time alone in prayer in order to nurture his spiritual connection with God.  

I have been blessed to have made pilgrimage to the Holy Land twice, and both times to have been able to walk to a small cave on the Eremos Heights a short way from Peter's house in Capernaum. It's a good bit above water level, with a lovely view of the entire northeast and northwest shorelines. I invite you to sit for a few minutes in the peacefulness of this cave, which legend has it, was the very place where Jesus went out to pray by himself whenever he was in Capernaum, and to nurture your spiritual connection with God this day.


Eremos Heights, near Capernaum, Israel

















No comments:

Post a Comment