Tuesday, May 13, 2014

EASTER 4 - May 11, 2014

I had the opportunity to supply this past Sunday (Mother's Day in the secular world) since I am 'between calls' and was moved to speak about the I AM saying of John 10:1-10, particularly:
    7So again Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 
      8All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them.  
      9I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out 
          and find pasture.  
     10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, 
          and have it abundantly.

The Greek word for 'gate' can just as easily be translated 'door'. It is rendered 'gate' here because that is what a sheepfold has, not a door! 

But we think more in terms of doors in our everyday lives. One of our most common metaphors is 'when one door closes .... another door opens!' I personally envision this in seeking direction in my life (or a new call!) as looking for a door that is open just a crack and sticking my toes into it. If it opens, I go on through! But if it slams shut on them I howl for a moment and go in search of another door that is cracked open. 

          +How do you seek guidance for the direction in your life? 
          +Do you have a strong sense of Jesus Christ's presence leading you to and through those choices? 

Entrance to Library at St. Andrew's University, Scotland









                                      

Entrance to the Chapel at St. Andrew's University, Scotland

Gated Entrance in St. Andrew's, Scotland

Turnstile for people at the entrance to the Heugh, Lindisfarne, England
 

No comments:

Post a Comment