Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Baptism of the Lord (January 9, 2011)
Laurel Dykstra wrote for Sojourners in 2008 that what connects this week's texts is voice.  As I consider Jesus' baptism in the Jordan, and as I consider what signifies 'voice' for me in creation, what embodies the gentle suffering servant of Isaiah and our Lord, I think of that lush area of rocks and trees where one of the three headwaters of the Jordan bubbles up to the surface at Dan in the Galilee. One felt totally cloaked in by the trees, watching the river rock carefully not to turn an ankle. And the water --- the trickling water calling us to: COME! be washed and claimed and be part of the fulfilling of all righteousness.  

Not far from home is a wonderful state park, Ohiopyle, with lovely falls in the Youghiogheny River as a major focal point. My black Labrador retriever loves to walk along the river down to the thundering falls that sound more like God's voice to the psalmist, and then swim after sticks we find. But less popular, and not very hospitable to doggie paws, is the small Cucumber Falls. Having run my battery out on my 'real' camera, I clicked a few photos with my old Razor cell phone. It reminds me a lot of that walk up to the Dan headwaters. And the voice is still calling.

The falls at Ohiopyle, PA on the Youghiogheny River

Keira launching after a stick above the falls


Cucumber Falls at Ohiopyle, PA



No comments:

Post a Comment